FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Do I need a partner?
A: Not at all! Zumba is a “partner free” activity, so it’s perfect for doing on your own and even more fun with a bunch of friends!
Q: Do I need to be a dancer, or know how to dance?
A: Certainly not! Zumba is designed for everyone in mind... the steps are easy and are repeated often so you can get familiar with the steps and how they fit to the music! We’ll have you moving and grooving in no time!
Keep in mind that some of the steps are more physically intense than others, but people can choose the level of energy & intensity they put into each move, depending on their individual fitness & ability.
Q: What do I wear? What do I need to bring?
A: Ah, a very popular question! We suggest you wear comfortable, non restrictive clothing... the sort of thing you’d wear to the gym. Just be ready to SWEAT! It’s such a great workout!
Sneakers are ok, but just so long as they do not have too much grip.. we don’t want people sticking to the floor. Dance Sneakers are also very popular too.
Also, we find it a great idea to bring along a small hand towel and a bottle of water!
Oh, don’t forget a spare, dry t-shirt or jacket to wear when you leave! Staying warm and dry after class is very important!
Q: What are the costs?
A: Single casual classes are only $15 each. Alternatively, you can purchase a 10 Class Super Pass for only $100!!
A much cheaper and still just as flexible option!
The 10 classes do not have to be taken consecutively and can be used at any of our weekly Zumba sessions. Note: The 10 Class Super Passes have an expiry date of 6 months... so you can’t stay on the couch and not come to class!
Q: Is Zumba the only activity / dance you teach?
A: Well, at Salsa Connection we not only teach Zumba, but we also teach Salsa, Bachata & Cha-cha... plus more dance styles coming this year! We’re home to Adelaide’s most nationally and internationally recognised and awarded Salsa academy, so ask your instructor about trying some of our other Street Latin styles.
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOUR FIRST ZUMBA CLASS...
Stepping into a Latin-dance-inspired Zumba class for the very first time can be overwhelming. Between all the new faces and loud music, the whole scene can be a little unnerving. If you've always wanted to check out the "fitness dance party" for yourself, these ten insider tips will give you a sense of what to expect before heading into this fast-paced workout. This way you can leave your nervous feelings at the door and focus on the fun!
- Walk in with an open mind and a smile on your dial: Zumba classes are fun! They are for all shapes and sizes, all fitness levels, guys, girls, old, young... everyone. So forget anyhting you've heard about Zumba and start the class with an open mind and just see where it takes you. So long as you end up sweating, smiling and shaking your bon-bon, then you're in the right place.
- You're going to sweat: Even committed gym rats will be surprised at the amount of sweat that builds up during class. There's an opportunity to take a quick break between songs or whenever you see fit, so be sure to bring a big bottle of water and a small towel. Trust me: you'll be happy you did.
- Rock the right shoes: There's no need to invest in a pair of dance sneakers if you're not sure Zumba is right for you, but choose footwear wisely. Traditional running shoes are designed for front-to-back motion, and Zumba is all about the side-to-side movement and pivoting. Check out the bottoms of your sneakers at home, and wear the pair with the thinnest sole and most basic tread pattern — anything with ankle support will be helpful too.
- Expect a mix of levels: Don't worry about being surrounded by the crew of So You Think You Can Dance. There will be a number of people who attend class regularly, but you'll find a mix of all levels, shapes, and sizes at Zumba. Certain hardcore dancers will be jumping and taking things to the next level with every step, while others will choose to take a break midsong. You're encouraged to do whatever feels right for your body.
- Don't stand right up front: Even if you can't wait to get started, don't stand front and center at your very first class. Find a spot in the middle or toward the back. This way, you can get a grasp of the steps and follow people in front. After you attend a few times, try out different locations all around the room to see what you like.
- Identify the regulars: At a huge Zumba class with tons of people, you won't be able to see every single step and motion from the instructor. During the first song, scan the room and look for the folks who seem to be a little more advanced and know what step is up next. This way you'll always have someone to follow if you lose the rhythm or just aren't sure what's going on!
- It's OK to mess up: Before the class kicks off, teachers will tell you to "just keep moving!" Effort is everything and no one is praised for their grasp of the choreography or technique or berated for lack there of. The mission of Zumba is to create an enjoyable workout that suits your needs. As long as you're continuing to move & refusing to give up, you're doing the workout right.
- The routines change constantly during class: In most dance classes, one long routine is taught during the class, but Zumba takes a different approach. Once a new song starts to play, you begin with a clean slate and a whole new set of moves. There's no need to feel frustrated if there's a step you can't master. You'll always have another chance to get it right — or even a new favorite move to pick up!
- Prepare for noise: Folks who prefer a quiet, introspective workout might not find a match with Zumba. The music is pumping, and the instructor eggs on the class to yell, sing, and cheer. Social butterflies who love to get involved with the party should look up their closest Salsa Connection managed Zumba class & get there ASAP.
- Leave your ego and your worries at the door: Zumba classes are for everyone and for everyone to enjoy! They are the perfect escape from your day to day cares... but there's also no room for ego and attitude either. No one is more special than the next - you're all at the class to sweat, shake, move, grind, jump, smile and dance the calories away. So get in there, relax and enjoy yourself - this is your time to cut loose!
You will enjoy every second of it – Zumba is an awesome, well rounded activity that makes you
feel good while creating a fitter, happier you every second!
Please Note: Please advise your instructor if you have any pre-existing medical conditions, injuries or if you are pregnant. Thank you.
For more information on ZUMBA® Fitness CLICK HERE, or please contact us on 0418 589 300
For more information on some of our other dance classes, check out the Classes page.
This website salsaconnection.com.au/zumbaadelaide.php is owned and operated by Kevin Malpas, a licensed member of the Zumba Instructor Network.
Please visit my profile at: http://www.zumba.com/profiles/54312/
Zumba®, Zumba® Gold, Zumbatomic®, Zumba® Toning and the Zumba Fitness logos are trademarks of Zumba Fitness, LLC, used under license.